Are we living in the best time in history to be a healthcare entrepreneur? An increasing number of experts say yes. The last one, Zen Chu, the founder of HackingMedicine and the current Entrepreneur in Residence at MIT. In an article published last week he explains what makes current times the most exciting ones to start a new business in healthcare:
- Broad realization that technology can be used to scale medicine at a broader systems + population health
- Changing healthcare reforms in the US is aligning incentives for better systemic healthcare
- Large entrenched healthcare institutions are having a tough time adapting versus more agile startups
- Start up costs have plummeted, so it’s more capital efficient than ever
- The ubiquity of mobile computing and low cost diagnostics and sensors make health data liquidity and tracking easier than ever
- Rising middle classes and health infrastructure in emerging economies are expanding access and demand globally
Chu’s article is one of the gems we have found on the Internet this week but not the only one. The slideshare below includes the top 10 technology and business model changes poised to disrupt the medical technology industry. It is worth having a look to it.